16 lge raw king prawns – shelled & deveined with tail left on
4 pickled onions peeled and cut in half
100gm sea blight, picked, blanched, re- freshed and put in fridge
1 white onion peeled
2 cloves of garlic
300ml pure cream
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
1 tsp truffle oil
Salt & pepper
4 globe artichokes, peeled, cleaned and cut in half – then blanched in boiling salted water with lemon for 5 mins, chilled and set aside
1 bunch woodland sorrel, leaves picked and washed
200ml prawn oil
120gm panko breadcrumbs
6 tbls [heaped] malto dextrin powder
300ml olive oil
10ml white balsamic vinegar
- Peel prawns [keep heads and shells] keep 12 for serving with tails left on, the other 4 remove all shell & put aside for prawn crumb.
- Take prawn heads and shells and roast in 180c oven for 30mins, add 270ml olive oil in small pot, then the roasted shells put in stove on a gentle heat for 1 hour [strain and put aside].
- Take 4 of the cleaned prawns, place in a shallow frypan with the prawn oil on a low heat and cook for 30mins. Remove prawn meat, place on tray in 100c oven for 1 hour until very dry! Keep prawn oil to one side.
- Once prawns are dry, put in blender and pulse until fine crumb, mix with bread crumbs, add 3/4 of prawn oil and toast in 160c oven for 10mins until golden brown and then put aside.
- Take 6 spoons of malto powder, place in bowl and slowly whisk in remainder of prawn oil until a nice orange snow forms, add to prawn crumbs and mix well. Set aside.
- Place a fry pan on the heat until very hot, add onions face down with a little olive oil and seasoning and caramelise for 3mins, then turn down heat and add 150ml white wine and place on a lid and cook for 5mins, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Place chopped leek and onion with garlic, bay and thyme in a small pot with 25ml of butter and 25ml olive oil and saute for 3mins without colouring. Add cream and artichoke hearts and cover with lid and simmer for 15mins.
- Place all ingredients in blender with salt and pepper with truffle oil and blend until smooth, set aside to keep warm.
- Place 12 prawns on a piece of baking paper in a small tray and season lightly, then dress with olive oil and roast in 180c oven for 3mins.
Smear 1 tablespoon of puree on each plate, place 3 prawns on each, separate onions into little half circles and place around the prawns, garnish with sea blight, sorrel leaves, dress with vinaigrette and lastly dust with prawn crumb!!